Friday, April 27, 2012

How can I tell if I need to upgrade my power supply when I upgrade a video card?

I am looking to upgrade my current video card (intel g31/g33 chipset family) which cannot play some games. In my search I see comments that "the card is great but may have to upgrade the power supply". How can I determine if I need a new power supply or even what my current power supply is?|||You can open up your case and look. The power supply is the metal box at the top-back corner of your computer with the fatty sticker with numbers on it. Read the numbers and you should find your wattage (# # # W).



Check how many amps your 12v rail(s) have. I'd recommend that you get a power supply of 30a/450W or higher (the higher the better...45a is good..little extra is ALWAYS a good idea).



I don't know what graphics card you're planning to get, but read a bunch of reviews on THAT card before you go buying it. The reviews will tell you how many Watts the card uses at idle and full load (with the wattage known, you can than solve for the number of amps it uses [Watt divided by 12]. They also compare with other cards that are out in the market, so you can see which card is better...and you might even change your mind.



Good luck.|||Check the website of the pc manufacturer and see the power supply wattage.Good video cards require a lot of power and recommend at least a 400 watt power supply.Some video cards need an extra plug for even more power.That is a gaming power supply.|||check SMPS(switching Mode Power Supply)

No comments:

Post a Comment