Friday, April 27, 2012

External video card produce better resolution on my laptop?

Hello I was wondering if anyone has ever used an external video card for their laptop. I have a few programs where they don’t fit on my screen because of my laptop’s screen resolution.



I have found some external video cards but they mainly talk about their use for using an additional monitor and that is not why I want the external video card. I want the external video card solely to have my laptop screen produce a larger screen resolution for my programs.



Does anyone know if external video cards will do such a thing?|||Theoretically they can provide better performance at higher resolutions than some built-in chipsets, but you are going to pay so much to get one, its might not be worth it.



The external video cards are basically just using the PCMCIA express card slot on laptops paired with a PCIx adapter. If you don't have an express card slot, you are out of luck. If you have a laptop that plays fast and loose with the PCMCIA specs, your system might not boot with the device plugged in, which is what is required if you have Windows XP. Vista and Windows 7 support hot-plugging the external cards in, but the downside there is, those two operating system use a wildly different video driver framework than XP does. Vista and Windows 7 will only allow one video driver to run at a time, so you have to match the type of external video card you get with the onboard chipset's. So you are stuck with either Nvidia or ATI if you have Vista or Windows 7. There is no intel version of an external video card, so if you have an intel chipset, and want to run Vista or Windows 7, you are out of luck.



You can pick a card that has a very high native resolution, but monitors generally max out at 1920 x 1200 anyway, so if your built in video chipset will already do that, then its not worth the hassle. Extremely high resolution monitors are very expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment