Monday, May 7, 2012

How difficult is it to install an AGP video card?

I currently have a Compaq Presario S4220NX. I checked the computer to find that I have an AGP slot for a video card. But right now my monitor is plugged into the motherboard (I do not currently have a video card) and I did some research and found that I am going to have to do a little extra to make this things work. I was wondering if anyone else has had to do a similar process, if anyone could direct me to a site that helps with computers with no previous video card, and could tell me generally if it is difficult or if a newbie like me could pull it off.





Note: I'm experienced with computers, I've just never put in a video card before.|||I have a Compaq Presario and I installed a video card in the AGP slot. I'm sure I know even less about computers than you do. It's pretty easy. Just go to the Compaq Presario website, and look up how to install a AGP video card. You probably should print out the directions before you shut down the computer.|||It isn't all that difficult to hook an AGP card up. You open the case, remove a slot door (the first one on the right as you face the front of the machine nomally), push the card into the AGP slot

Make sure it is securely seated (you may have insert a screw to hold it in place), close the case, connect your monitor cable and reboot.



Now, you might have to load some drivers. That is explained in the manual you get along with a CD or DVD containing the drivers.|||its not hard at all, just follow the instructions on the graphic card box|||Most computers have an AGP slot, usually it is brown and it is always located above the PCI slots (which usually are white). the slot itself is positioned closer to the edge of the motherboard then the PCI slots. If you find this slot, just plug in the videocard, switch the cable of your monitor and it should work.



However, if you have a very old computer (Pentium II or III) your AGP slot may be deprecated, there are various versions of AGP. Most computers and videocards nowadays are compatible with AGP 8x.

It is possible, if you have an older computer, that an AGP slot is not available, only PCI.



The newer standard is PCI Express, you won't have this unless you have a state-of-the-art computer.



Oh, some videocards of the latest generation require you to connect power cables to them. That's because the AGP slot doesn't supply enough power for the newest GPUs.



That's about all there is to know about installing an AGP card ;)|||To install an agp card...



Step 1: Remove current video processor drivers. It will ask for a restart...



Step 2: Enter system bios before it boots up and disable your integrated graphics processor. (sometimes this is not possible on manufactured computers) but i think you can also do it through device manager under 'my computer'.



Step 3: Shut down computer and Turn off power to power supply



Step 4: Insert new video card and connect power wire (if required for your specific card)



Step 5: Turn on power to power supply and Turn on your computer



Step 6: (Here you have 2 choices) You can install the drivers off your cd OR you can download and install the latest drivers off the net. (your screen maybe in 8-bit color mode until the drivers are installed so do not panic)



Step 7: Enjoy your new video processing capablilities...|||You will also have to disable onboard graphics, in the BIOS.



Nobody mentioned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment