Monday, May 7, 2012

What type of Video Card can i install?

I have a AOpen AX45-V SiS 645 Socket 478 Motherboard with an Intel Pentium 4 2.0 ghz processor. Ram is 1gb and has plenty of pci-e slots available. the max power supply currently installed is 300watts.



1) My question is can I install the ATI Radeon x1600 pci on my motherboard. The reason is to be able to play the newer games like Dirt and NFS: Carbon which require these higher video cards.



2) I suppose I can't install the x1650 because it requires a power source of 450w and I am not planning on upgrading my power source.



3) Any other recommendations you have on which is the best video card for my system given it'll allow me to play the newer games.



Thanks.|||1)That motherboard does not have ANY PCI-e slots on it. It has one AGP and 6 STANDARD PCI slots.



You are confusing the original PCI bus with the new PCI-e bus. These are totally different interfaces and are not interchangeable.



They do make the X1600 for the AGP bus, that would be the route you will have to go.



2) The power supply recommendation is generally playing it safe. If you do not have a lot of components (multiple hard drives and CD/DVD drives, lots of PCI cards and a bunch of memory sticks) you will probably have enough power for it.



Here is a link to a site that has a good power calculator:



http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psuca…



3) I would actually spend a little more money on a video card such as the Nvidia 7600GT, they outperform the x1600 by a good margin and are not too much more expensive.|||Perhaps you should invest in a larger power supply and expand your video card options. Look at it this way: Sooner or later, you'll need to do it.



http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis…



Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment